Situation in Venezuela

Where players come to b***h about the mod team and talk out-of-character about the game.
John George I

Situation in Venezuela

Post by John George I » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:59 pm

I opened this topic to see if you were aware of what has been going on in Venezuela. I am myself Venezuelan and have been participating in already 2 months of continuous protests and standing in civil resistance against the government and I figured I could perhaps let you guys know what's going on if you were interested.
Frederick V, Prince-Elector of the Rhenish Palatinate
Frederick I, King of Bohemia

Imperial Vicar of Franconia, Swabia, the Rhine, and Southern Germany
Arch-Steward of the Empire
Arch-Butler of the Empire
Knight Companion of the Garter
John George I

Re: Situation in Venezuela

Post by John George I » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi guys,

First of all, sorry for my absence in the last days, protests in my country have gotten delicate in the past week since government forces shifted repression tactics and we had to adapt. Since I have been participating heavily in these protests and even helping coordinate some activities, that has heavily drained my time. Anyways, I would like to generate discussion on this and expose my point of view and see what you guys think, so feel free to tell me if you are interested.

Best regards,

David.

Maurice I

Post by Maurice I » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Another Venezuelan friend was telling me about it. I haven't really understood the entire matter. Would love to understand in its entirety!
John George I

Post by John George I » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:21 am

Hey!

Is your friend from the MUN circuit here in Caracas by any chance? Could be that I know him/her.

In any case, what exactly would you like to know? I can start off by saying that we have been off to the streets for over 2 months already, in massive protest against our government (which has 80% of the population disapproving the administration) due to hyperinflation, shortage of food, medicine and other basic staples; insecurity (we have more violent deaths every year than what Iraq had at the height of the war) and many other reasons.

In this context, president Maduro has been turning more and more authoritarian, pretty much turning into a dictator in the eyes of everyone when last year, controlling the National Election Council (an organism that is supposed to be independent, like a branch of government on its own) and by founding themselves on an ironically unconstitutional resolution of the constitutional review hall of the Supreme Court (also controlled by Maduro), the government arbitrarily suspended the process for a recall referendum.

Now, to keep in power, government officials have resorted to heavy repression of disent, that includes arbitrary detentions, excessive use of force, improper use of riot equipment, like shooting an insane amount of tear gas grenades directly to the people as opposed to shooting them to the sky, since they travel at 70+ kilometers per hour they are potentially deadly projectiles (a student from my university got killed this way creating a national scandal); shooting other makeshift projectiles, beatings, intimidation, use of paramilitary forces and the like. Besides this, about a month ago they called for a Constituent Assembly without due process (the call has to be submitted to referendum according to our Constitution, and it proposes an election system that makes the term gerrymandering look cute) that has been opposed by 88-92% of the population, because it only seeks to transform the state to allow for the dictatorship to exist, in some sort of weird communist way.

So, I hope this covers most of the situation right now, sorry for the long post but as you may see it is quite complex (and I didn't even bring up censorship hahaha). If you still have doubts let me know

John
Site Admin

Post by John » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Adol Bel wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:21 am
Hey!

Is your friend from the MUN circuit here in Caracas by any chance? Could be that I know him/her.

In any case, what exactly would you like to know? I can start off by saying that we have been off to the streets for over 2 months already, in massive protest against our government (which has 80% of the population disapproving the administration) due to hyperinflation, shortage of food, medicine and other basic staples; insecurity (we have more violent deaths every year than what Iraq had at the height of the war) and many other reasons.

In this context, president Maduro has been turning more and more authoritarian, pretty much turning into a dictator in the eyes of everyone when last year, controlling the National Election Council (an organism that is supposed to be independent, like a branch of government on its own) and by founding themselves on an ironically unconstitutional resolution of the constitutional review hall of the Supreme Court (also controlled by Maduro), the government arbitrarily suspended the process for a recall referendum.

Now, to keep in power, government officials have resorted to heavy repression of disent, that includes arbitrary detentions, excessive use of force, improper use of riot equipment, like shooting an insane amount of tear gas grenades directly to the people as opposed to shooting them to the sky, since they travel at 70+ kilometers per hour they are potentially deadly projectiles (a student from my university got killed this way creating a national scandal); shooting other makeshift projectiles, beatings, intimidation, use of paramilitary forces and the like. Besides this, about a month ago they called for a Constituent Assembly without due process (the call has to be submitted to referendum according to our Constitution, and it proposes an election system that makes the term gerrymandering look cute) that has been opposed by 88-92% of the population, because it only seeks to transform the state to allow for the dictatorship to exist, in some sort of weird communist way.

So, I hope this covers most of the situation right now, sorry for the long post but as you may see it is quite complex (and I didn't even bring up censorship hahaha). If you still have doubts let me know
David I'm a little lost on what Maduro is attempting to do to the National Electoral Council. Frankly I'm not read up on Venezuela much, but I know there's been a big backlash to his plans for it. What are your thoughts on his changes?
John Seese
Director, OCL
John George I

Post by John George I » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:10 am

Ok, so the National Electoral Council is supposed to independently organize all sorts of elections for public office and referendums in the country, however, the problem is that it is not really independent, in fact, it is blatantly controlled by the executive and it's independence is merely a facade.

What Maduro is trying to change is not something within the structure of that, the status quo in that aspect benefits him. What he called for is a Constituent Assembly, basically to suspend the Constitution to draft a new one (in which he is proposing pretty much absolute power and new "communal" organization of the state). However, he is doing this ignoring the constitutional process that actually is provided in our constitution to call for such an assembly, which basically says that the "originary" power resides in the people and as such only the people can call for a new organization of the state (which is a Constituent Assembly). Iit does say that the president can take the initiative for the process (like calling for a referendum) but the people still exclusively hold this power so it has to be consulted, step they skipped with the nod of the National Electoral Council because otherwise to even call for the Assembly would have been impossible.

Now, not only this is happening, but Maduro explicitly and publicly ordered for this to be a "sectorial and territorial election for the constituents", which according to the text of Maduro's decree means that the number of representatives for this assembly that will draft a whole new constitution will be determined not on population but arbitrarily concentrated in places with very low population but high support for government, or the sectorial part that means for example, that syndicates that also support the government would have their own representatives. All this, again, with the nod of the not independent National Electoral Council.

This basically means that even when 88-92% of the population rejects the initiative for the Constituent Assembly, the state is working towards making them anyways, and when time comes to choose representatives, my vote in mostly opposition Caracas (the capital) would be worth 14 times less than a random rural town called Tucupita. All this, of course, creating a situation in which with 80% of the population against the current administration, they could actually get a majority in the Constituent Assembly.

And btw, something I forgot to mention, the opposition does control one of the branches, the legislative, in december 2016 we won 2/3 of the seats, but then, the Supreme Court dissolved it under absurd arguments, so now there is no legislative and the executive and judicial branches arbitrarily usurped those functions.

Maurice I

Post by Maurice I » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:37 am

That situation is so tense! Every democracy requires constant struggle to remain a democracy but the situation in Venezuela is so very tense! Even the media hasn't covered it much. You are doing a great work for the coming generations of your country. Tell us if we can support you in any way.
San Hill

Post by San Hill » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:06 am

I did hear that Venezuela tried to demonetize high valued currency just like what India did. And I heard it backfired. Did it affect Venezuelan economy?
San Hill,
Chairman of the InterGalactic Banking Clan
John George I

Post by John George I » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am

Shu Mai, thanks for caring about it, I think right now the best way in which you could help is to spread the news and create awareness within your own social circles.

San Hill, it wasn't exactly a policy directed at demonetizing, but rather a poorly executed policy to change our bank notes. See, our highest value bank note used to be 100 Bolivares (our national currency), and a couple years ago that used to be some money, however, hyperinflation soon left that behind, we got to a point where buying a bottle of water could cost 1500 Bolivares so you would need 15 of our highest value bank notes to purchase it in cash. The bank notes were changed for higher value ones, which was something that must have been done a long time ago because our cash system was dysfunctional, but in that transition the government demanded all the old bank notes to be collected before a deadline in which they would no longer be in legal circulation, but the new bank notes were not properly in circulation before that so they had to reschedule many times, causing cash shortages, which is not really much of a problem here in the capital because we can pay with electronic forms of payment most of the times (though the system was exceeding its capacity), but in the rest of the country, especially in rural areas were electronic payment is still not everywhere, transactions were pretty much brought to a halt and you can imagine what that means. Now the government stopped announcing deadlines while the new bank notes start entering circulation and we see them more often, so we pretty much have de facto both systems of bank notes in circulation, sorta normalizing that particular situation.

San Hill

Post by San Hill » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:22 pm

Since there are large protests, why is Maduro still in power? I mean, why not impeach him? Where is the opposition?
San Hill,
Chairman of the InterGalactic Banking Clan